Wednesday, May 29, 2013

TED Talk Video:

Science is absolutely my favorite subject to teach, and one reason is that I enjoy teaching about the solar system. One question the students inevitably ask is about aliens, or if there is life on other planets, or if humans could survive on any other planet or moon. I always kind of skirt the question, or say that scientists are always making new discoveries and that anything is possible. This video, and several others that I briefly viewed touch on this subject. I think it is fascinating that there are new discoveries made in space that indicate that there may have been life previously, or could be life in the future on some of the planets or moons. It's best for me to leave it up to much more qualified individuals to explain the possibilities to my students!

3 comments:

  1. I have also had the opportunity to teach science and found it very interesting. I have also fielded several questions on aliens and living on other planets. I don't shy away from the question because it is topics like this that really make our students think. You never know, one of your students may make a discovery one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely learning more about TED Talks in general through this project. This one is the shortest one I have viewed and is very informational. I can see how science students and teachers would appreciate Carolyn Porco's scientific explanation about life elsewhere in the universe. Like Tony said, this could definitely inspire a student with a scientific curiosity to explore his or her own mind and look for more information on this topic. Thanks for sharing this video. I have learned something new today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I loved teaching science, too, but now I teach history, which I also love (endorsed in both). Science is so much fun for the kids, and I found I could get them more involved than I sometimes can with history. Second, this is a great video. I agree that it could definitely get a kid, especially a HAL kid, to start exploring more on his or her own.

    ReplyDelete